Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Mom Would Be So Proud



Those of you who know me well know that I am not domestic. At all. Ok, so I've learned to throw together a meal or two, but Martha Stewart I will never be. I've never enjoyed 'crafting', probably never will. And that's never really bothered me. I'm ok with not being a crafter. When I go to Super Saturday Craft Days I socialize with friends and eat some good food. I never come home with a craft. Enough said.

My mom was a super homemaker. She did everything well. Crafting, cooking, sewing...most especially sewing. She tried to get me to learn, but I had a deep aversion to the sewing machine growing up. I think it's genetic because Mom said when I was little anytime she took me to a fabric store I screamed the second we walked in. Lately my aversion to sewing has diminished and I've wanted to learn. Probably has something to do with the beautiful quilts I see my mom and sister make. A few months ago I picked up a sewing machine for free. I took it to my mom and she showed me how to thread it. Holy cow. I had no idea it was that complicated. I brought the machine home and its been sitting unused on the counter.

Well today, miracle of miracles, I got the sewing machine out. I figured I could teach myself to thread it. It couldn't be as hard as I remembered, right? Two hours later I finally figured it out. Thank goodness for the internet. So I'm on my way. Baby steps right? I'm not focusing on the fact that I stupidly wasted years of opportunity to have my mom teach me. Instead I'm moving forward in hopes that some day I might make something my mom would be proud of. Martha Stewart here I come!

To those of you who can sew: Now what do I do? :)

5 comments:

Lisa said...

If you need any help give me a call! You could start with a simple rag quilt, or block quilt, or we could make cute headbands for our girls, or you could make a skirt. I love to sew and usually only use a straight stitch or zigzag. Pretty basic stuff. Good luck!

The Hills Family said...

Just keep it basic....I"m not much of a crafter, either. However, I'm finding that I enjoy sewing--well, at least the finished product :)

Melanie said...

OK, I'm so excited. check out the blog makeitandloveit for tons of great and simple ideas. And several of them involve a trip to Home Depot (or the back of Jake's trailer) before you sit down to sew.

Tamara said...

Wow. You are miles ahead of me so Ive got nothing. But I am proud! Way to go Llamaface!

little red hen said...

Hi, You don't know me. I figured I'd let you know I've been reading up on your blog...just in case you have a blog tracker and wonder who I am! I was at the cemetery today visiting my mother-in-law's grave and passed your sister's headstone on the way out. I recognized her picture from the newspaper. I then noticed your mom's grave. I wasn't sure at the time, if it was hers. I was hoping it wasn't. That is far too much for a family to deal with. I'm glad you allow the public to read your blog. It is so wonderful to read your testimony and know that you know that you will see both your sister and mom again. I am sure you have touched the lives of others and are leaving a wonderful legacy, just as those who have gone on before you. May our Heavenly Father continue to help you through this journey and may angels continue to surround you and your cute little family. -Brenda