Monday, April 29, 2013

Almost Forty...

this is the coolest picture ever...i'm totally going to look like this
I'm almost forty.  Well, thirty-five, moving quickly to thirty-six.  Jake gets mad when I say I'm almost forty.  Probably just because he doesn't want to think that we're getting so old.  Getting old is not super fun.  Things I have noticed:  more gray hairs, less time (not sure how this works), more wrinkles (I really don't feel as old as I look), slower metabolism (I now have to limit myself to 1000 calories per day to not gain weight), tired a lot more (10:30pm feels more like midnight), wake up more during the night (never understood this but here I am).....  I could go on and on but I'll spare you.

Along with the above list, I suddenly find myself being old enough that I should have accomplished amazing things.  Things that I thought I would have done by now:  had five kids (can only handle three), paid my house off (so naive), gone to Hawaii (this may never happen), gone on a cruise (this will happen), not be worrying so much about money (I don't want to talk about this), had an amazing tenth anniversary tour of the world (this will be done at our 80th anniversary after we're dead), etc, etc.

Lest you think I've gotten even more pessimistic in my old age, I'll try to end on a positive note.  There are things I enjoy about getting older that I didn't expect.  These are:  a marriage that is better every day (we're finally figuring each other out), kids who I enjoy more every day (they're amazing), not caring so much what other people think (I love being ok with me - its only taken 35 years), eating what I want even though it puts me over 1000 calories, being in the best shape of my life (again, its only taken me 35 years), the little things don't matter so much (life experiences have taught me what really matters), the ability to go buy a trailer (had to put Tiny in here somewhere), feeling like I can do hard things (it might be nice not to know this).

I know this has been the most exciting post ever.  But old people can say whatever they want, for as long as they want.  Another nice thing about being old...

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I think that's a monkey dressed as an old lady. And you will never look like that. Your post made me laugh. You look great, can and still do hard things and have accomplished a lot. Keep up the good work. You are young, not even middle aged. You have lots of time left... just like me.

zackary04 said...

Love this! You sound like Greg! He's been telling everyone for 5 years that he's 70! You are amazing have accomplished more than most and have your priorities just right! Love you!!!

zackary04 said...


Love this! You sound like Greg! He's been telling everyone for 5 years that he's 70! You are amazing have accomplished more than most and have your priorities just right! Love you!!!