Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Cat Did NOT Come Back


You may remember that we got a cat a couple of months ago.  Spjutes are not known to be animal lovers.  Don't think that I've gone soft.  This cat was purchased purely out of need for a mouser.  It was to be an outdoor cat that just did his own thing, like most cats do.  There are tons of cats in our neighborhood who just roam and do their own thing, so I thought this would be easy peasy.  Wrong.  Orea (the cat) was more like a dog than a cat.  When we would go on walks it would follow us.  It let the kids hold it and drag it around all the time.  It did not want to be outside.  It wanted to be a member of our family.  The rest of the family was ok with this.  Me?  Not so much.  Not exactly what I signed up for.  You know all the stories about people trying to get rid of their cats?  They take them miles away into the mountains, thinking there's no way the cat will make its way back.  What happens?  A few days later the cat comes strolling in.  Oreo was apparently born without this instinct.  She would follow one of us down the street and not be able to make it back home.  Seriously?  Our neighbors had to keep bringing her back.  Over and over.  For the love.

I was about to take her to the shelter.  She was a great cat, but not a good fit for our family.  One day, when Oreo was missing, I found out from a friend that one of the family's down the street had her.  She said their little girl had spent hours holding her outside.  That night they showed up at our door with Oreo.  I asked them if they wanted to keep her and they got so excited!  They even offered to pay for her.  Are you kidding?!! I was ready to pay them to take her.  I loaded them up with all of the cat stuff and sent them on their way.  Haven't seen her since.  I could not have dreamed up a better solution to the cat problem.  Seriously the best day EVER!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I noticed that Sage didn't run to the garage when I dropped her off to play with Oreo. Congrats on being pet free...until Moab, then I'm sure we'll all be proud owners of lizards!

April said...

That's hilarious! Strong work.

the mortensen's said...

well done. my kids want an animal sooo bad. Fortunately Wayne is like a Spjute in the animal hating ways.