Tuesday, May 10, 2016

A Week of Remembering

Its that week again.  Mothers Day, Linz' Angel Day, and Mom's birthday...all in one week.  I will admit that there have been years where I took this week as an opportunity to feel sorry for myself.  To be really sad.  But I'm learning (yes it happens) that this is not the way to go.  Not to mention I'm sure it makes Mom and Linz want to hit me over the head.  Yes, I still shed a tear or two, or three or four.  Yes, I still miss them and think of them a lot.  But rather than look at what I don't have I look at what I can do to remember them.  And I take the opportunity to evaluate my life.  What would Mom tell me to do differently if she were here?  How would Linz be enjoying life and how can I do the same?  And I look at my own family and think about how grateful I am for them and how much they'll love Mom and Linz when they finally get to know them.

So this year I made some bread that I'll be taking around.  I picked some lilacs and put them on the table (they always remind me of mom).  I've been talking to the kids about finding extra service opportunities this week.  And I'm going to play with the kids more than usual, just like Linz would.

This week is definitely bitter sweet.  Bitter because they're not here with us and we miss them.  But sweet because of the memories we have and the gospel plan that means we'll be with them again.  So I'm remembering, but I'm happy remembering...








2 comments:

Melanie said...

Smart girl! You took the high road. I took the "wallow in sadness road." I listened to her funeral for the first time in a long time and it felt like my heart was breaking all over again. Not sure I'll ever be able to listen to it without the raw emotion spilling over. Next year I'll make bread.

zackary04 said...

So beautiful! What wonderful memories you have and I know your angel mother and sister are watching in awe of you and what you've become. I love you, Laura!