Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Vernal: The Vacation Destination

Oh my word.  I have so many things to write about from September.  Well, I know there are lots of things, but now I can only remember one.  I hate it when that happens!  Oh well (this has become my motto lately - oh well - kind of works I think).

Anyway, the last couple months have seemed full of mountain biking.  Zack has had a race every other weekend since the middle of August.  I don't mind, it's been a lot of fun.  In the middle of September he had a race in Vernal.  Yes, such an exciting place to visit.  Jake and Sage ended up being gone, so I decided to make a weekend of it and camp with Kate and Zack.  We got up there in time for Zack to pre-ride the course, and then headed to our KOA camp spot.  Gotta love the KOA's.  We ate a quick dinner of nasty hot dogs and then went to an outdoor movie at the library that Vernal was doing for the bikers.  Like I said, party town.  Unfortunately, 15 minutes into the movie the projector died and they couldn't get it going again.  We decided to do a campfire and s'mores instead.  But I forgot to bring an ax so we could have kindling, so we ended up just producing huge amounts of smoke for all of our neighbors.  So we went to bed.

Zack's race didn't start until 4:00 on Saturday, so we decided to visit Dinosaurland.  It was pretty cool.  You get to see fossils that are still in the rock.  Then we went on an auto tour thing to pass some more time.  It was a cool place, but I'm glad I didn't drive out there just to see fossils.  Not my thing I guess.

Anyway, we headed out to the race course.  This course was in the middle of nowhere.  Zero trees.  Zero.  Lots of dust.  So much dust.  It was a super hot day, and as the day went on it kept getting hotter and windier.  Right before Zack raced the wind started gusting.  When it would gust there would just be huge clouds of dust with it.  So much that you couldn't see at all.  Awesome.  I felt so bad for the kids who had to race.  Good thing they're young and tough.  Zack did awesome racing.  He said there were parts where the wind was so bad that you were working hard just to move forward.  The poor kids were so dehydrated by the time they finished that they were dizzy and barely standing.  Again, awesome.  As we made our way to the car it was just one big cloud of dust everywhere.  We could hardly see.  My car was caked with dust on the outside, and there was even a ton of dust on the inside.  Jake insisted we must have rolled the windows down, but no, it was just that dusty.  So then we got to drive two hours covered in dust.  I've never been so dirty.  It was horrible.

So I'd like to give my review of Vernal, in case you were thinking of visiting.  There are some stores, fast food places, little houses, fossils, little campgrounds.  And dust.  So much dust.  And wind.  So much wind.  And so, so hot.  So if you like all of those things then you'll love Vernal!!  (I told Jake if Zack races there next year he's taking him)

dino land

The whole wall behind them is full of fossils

The femur bone of some kind of dinosaur

There are some pretty parts of Vernal




Riding through dust


Dusty parking lot.  Notice all the trees...

This picture does not do my dusty car justice.  The dust was stuck to the windows like snow

Then we got to drive through the smoke.  Normally you would see Strawberry Lake there

I edited this picture, but he was almost this dusty

A better picture of the wind and dust

Zack coming to the finish line



0 comments: