Thursday, December 10, 2009

One Last Push


Every mountain climb has its challenges, but the hardest part is usually the push to the summit. It's usually the steepest, but its also hard because you're already tired from the rest of the climb.

My family and I have been climbing one of our biggest mountains yet, and I believe we're now starting our push to the summit. The cancer is taking over in my mom. The pain is becoming greater and we scramble to find the right drugs to keep her out of pain.

As we begin this last push we all gather together, for we won't make it alone. We climb, one foot in front of the other. When we become too weary, "the handcart pushes us", as angels help us to the top. For my mom this is her last summit, at least in this life. The rest of us will have more mountains to climb, but for now, this is our Everest. I know we will make it because that is what our mom taught us to do. When we reach the summit with the beautiful view below will it have been worth it? I say yes. Yes if we can climb with courage and grace, able to say that we came closer to God in the process.

"Shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, and on, on to the victory!" D&C 128:22

3 comments:

Autumn said...

Thinking and praying for you--hoping my angels are right there helping you climb.

Matt and Mandy said...

You are so strong, and so positive. We know it's only a matter of time with Matt's parents until we get there, we are thankful for their current progress, but as we know cancer doesn't go away forever. I will have to call you for advice when we get there! Our prayers are with you!

Hilary said...

I love the symbolism you use with the mountain peak. The amazing thing is that as you get closer and closer to the top, you are able to see farther and more clearly; until you are completely at the disposal of the Lord's will. I am so grateful for the eternal perspective you and your amazing family have. I'm also so grateful for how long your mom has hung in there and done so well. I continue to pray for all of you...