Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Swiss Days!

Chaos in the kitchen

The kids chowing down

The goat kept everyone entertained

Jake's family enjoying some good bbq

I love Swiss Days!  Some people hate it and leave town, I just think its fun.  It cracks me up how many people come just to shop at boutiques.  Craziness.  Every year, early Friday morning, I run the 'tour of Midway'.  This allows me to see all the crazies getting here at 6am.  I also get to see all the crazies already fighting over stuff.  I love it:)  I must admit that I do love walking around the booths to see the goods, and I usually end up buying something.  I would like to think that I would not be one of the 'crazies' if I didn't live here.  I also love working at Swiss Days.  There's just something cool about working together with fellow Midway residents, knowing that none of us are getting paid for our time.  This year I helped the youth with their assignment of cleaning off tables.  I ended up being on my own during the lunch hour.  It was pretty crazy, but time definitely passed quickly.  I even got to wipe off President Uchtdorf's table.  It took me a second to recognize him dressed all casual.  Good times.

A side note about Swiss Days.  It is put on by the church.  Thus the reason its not held on Sunday and there's no alcohol served.  Half of everything made by the food booths goes to the church.  And let me tell you, this is not a small amount.  So next time you spend lots of money on a swiss taco, you can feel a little better about where your money goes:)

To finish it all off we had our annual Swiss Days BBQ.  This year it was bigger than ever.  Both of our families came, and it was fun to have everyone here.  My neighbor made his super yummy smoked pork for us so I didn't even have to worry about too much food.  We all ate tons and then the women headed to swiss days while the men pulled kid duty.  In case you were wondering, Saturday evening is the best time to go to Swiss Days.  Way less crowds, and sometimes the vendors will even lower their prices.

So, another Swiss Days gone.  The end of summer.  And an end to our annual Swiss Days BBQ I think.  Its too busy of a weekend to ask people to come up here who wouldn't do so otherwise.  I think in the future we'll just open our house up to anyone who decides to come shop.  Hopefully everyone will stop by to say 'hello'.  Those of you who wouldn't come to Swiss Days without the BBQ can now truly enjoy your labor day weekend:)  Now, I'm off to enjoy a dinner made up mostly of things from our garden.  You gotta love fall:)

1 comments:

Alicia said...

Looks fun and delicious! Sad I missed it. You should send me some leftover pork!