Friday, November 30, 2012

Derby Time!

Zack's car being set in place

The car and the scout

Since Zack turned 8, I've entered the world of scouting.  And quite a world it is.  I feel like its a strange secret combination complete with special handshakes, cheers, vocabulary, the list goes on.  I know nothing about scouting.  I'm not sure I really want to know about scouting.  I have learned, though, that some people take scouting very seriously.  Very seriously.  There is to be no joking about scouting.  This is serious business.  Like I said, secret combination...

Anyway, surprisingly, Zack is loving scouts.  He loves every activity they do and could spend all day doing anything related to scouts.  This could be challenging for me if it wasn't for my wonderful hubby.  Jake loves doing all things scouting with Zack.  Who knew?  So now my husband and son get great bonding time, and I don't have to do scouts. This is definitely a win-win situation.

Last night we experienced our first pinewood derby.  I have a fading memory of my brother Greg coming home after his first pinewood derby with a blue ribbon for first place.  I'm not sure I ever remember my dad being so excited.  So when Zack's derby came around I figured this was a big deal.

Zack designed the car on the computer, and Jake cut it out per Zack's specifications.  Then they painted it.  Zack decided on a shark design (not sure where this came from) and the number 80 (?).  I was proud of Jake for letting Zack do the work.  When it came down to speed we weren't so fast.  Maybe we should have done a little more research on this aspect.  However, Zack had a good time and didn't seem phased by his slow car.  If Zack's happy, I'm happy.  Who needs a blue ribbon anyway?

1 comments:

Alicia said...

Love that picture of Zack. Too cute!