Thursday, August 15, 2013

One Last Birthday

This is what Sage looks like hiking - love it!

Our little fairy princess
We celebrated Sage's birthday last week.  The last of the summer birthdays.  Now I can die of exhaustion.  Ok, not really.  Let's face it, I'm not a crazy birthday person.  At all.  I mean, we do fun things, but certainly a lot less than most people.  My poor kids don't have birthday parties.  Because I'm a bad mom.  I'm so not good at parties, and the parties my kids go to seem to get more extravagant every time.  So I try to take them someplace cool instead.  They seem fine with it.  I'm sure when they have kids they'll throw huge birthday parties for them to make up for their party deprivation.  Just add it to the list of things I've done wrong as a mom.  Speaking of things I've done wrong...  Usually my kids ask me to decorate a cake for their birthday (castle, pirate ship, race car, etc).  This year the heavens smiled down on me because none of them wanted that kind of cake.  I don't mind making them cakes like that, but because their birthdays are so close together by the last cake I kind of want to poke my eyes out.  This year Zack wanted cupcakes with fruit, Kate wanted strawberry shortcake, and Sage wanted cupcakes with Oreos on them.  So I made her cupcakes and placed Oreos on them, just like she asked.  Well, she didn't like them.  Apparently I chose to make frosting that she didn't like, so she was unable to enjoy her birthday cupcakes.  Yes, I'm awesome.  So I bought her a fancy cupcake at the store to make up for it.  My poor, poor kids.  My talents are more towards the biking and running side of things.  I missed out on the important mom skills (cooking, sewing, crafting, etc, etc, etc).  Someday my kids will be so excited to run and bike with me, right?  And maybe someday I'll figure out some of those mom skills (probably not, but there's always hope right?).

Anyway, I digress, a lot.  Sage had a fun birthday.  We went camping, again.  We had a campfire, and Sage made up songs for us to sing.  Future songwriter here.  She's awesome.  She got dress-ups for her birthday, along with a stroller for her doll.  She walks around outside dressed like a princess pushing her stroller.  Yesterday she rode her bike dressed like a fairy.  Awesome.

PS - This weekend we are staying home.  We have hit vacation overload and decided all we wanted to do this weekend is stay home.  Home Sweet Home

0 comments: