Friday, August 4, 2017

July Happenings

Oh my word.  We're already in August and I pretty much posted nothing in July.  How is summer so busy?!  So, so busy.  I feel like we're just running from one fun thing to the next and before we know it, its over.  Craziness.  So a quick recap on July.

July marks the beginning of birthday season in our family.  Jake and Zack both had birthdays in July.  Zack is 13 and officially a teenager.  Holy moly!  As far as teenagers go, I think he's a pretty good one.  He works hard, hard, hard.  We give him way too many chores, and for the most part he rises to the occasion.  He's also way smarter than anyone I know.  I mostly don't understand anything he says these days.  He loves to put things together and figure out how to do things.  He's still really good at origami as well.  For a while now all he's asked for is a 3D printer.  He researched and found one that didn't cost too much, so that's what he got for his birthday.  There's been a lot of printing going on around here.

Jake is so hard for birthdays.  He'll rarely ask for anything and won't even tell me any dinner ideas or anything.  He sees no purpose in birthday celebrations I guess.  I did manage to get him something he liked this year and I think I even made him food he enjoyed.  This is harder since he's lost lots of weight and won't eat just anything.  Jake and Zack have a tradition of going to Kneaders for all you can eat french toast for their birthdays.  Best day ever for Zack.  Anyway, we sure love Jake around here.  He's such a good dad  and is good at getting through to the kids when I lose my cool.  He's the child whisperer for our kids.  And of course he slaves away at a difficult job.  Works harder than most people I know.  What a good man we have.

We finally got a garden in this year and its been growing growing growing.  It's all starting to ripen and now I have to figure out how to use it.  This is delicious, but also difficult because its way more than we can eat.  Jake has all kinds of canning ideas in mind.  I love eating food that I've canned, but it sure is a lot of work!  Jake assures me that he'll help.  We shall see....

We went to cousin Season's for the 24th of July, but didn't have the day we planned on.  Shortly after we got there Kate somehow gashed her knee open on the slip n slide.  Poor girl.  She ended up spending the whole afternoon getting stitches and hardly even saw her cousins.  Boo!  Good thing it wasn't a serious injury, but it definitely wasn't how we planned on spending the day.

We ended the month in small town fashion.  There's a canal in Heber people float down and I've wanted to do it for years.  My friend finally figured out where to go, so we made plans to do it.  She told me she bought some kids floaty tubes, so I bought the same and figured we were good to go.  My kids kept asking if I was sure the tubes would work because they seemed really small.  I assured them we were good to go.  When we got to the canal we realized the tubes were indeed on the small side.  Like really small.  But of course this didn't stop us (me).  Zack and I used two tubes and had to lay on our stomachs with our legs dragging behind us so we didn't sink.  Even Sage couldn't sit on the tube without it sinking, so she was also on her stomach.  Zack didn't want to go in the first place, so by the end he was really mad.  He ended up losing one of his tubes halfway through and walked the rest of the way.  He said it was "torturous" with no hint of a smile.  Sage was a good sport, but the water was really cold.  She started shivering and said she was "getting hypothermia."  Then she "bit her tongue because she was shivering so hard."  She finally climbed out and walked on the ground a little before the end because she couldn't take it anymore.  It was soooo funny.  My friend and I were dying.  I so wish I could have taken pictures.  Needless to say my kids can't wait to do it again! (or not).

We topped off the canal floating by going to the demolition derby.  It was my first, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was awesome!  We really had a great time.  Jake even played musical chairs in between one of the rounds in front of everyone.  I was proud of him.  It was such a fun night!  I love living in a small town!

Kid derby.  So cute!




Rollover!

Kate and Sage came with me to help make bratzlis for Swiss Days.  Swiss Days prep is in full swing here.

Farmington Festival Days parade!!

Jake went hiking with Zack's scout troop

Zack's birthday.  He specifically requested those drinks


13!!!


Grandma Great came up from Boise to visit!  It was so great to see her!


Jake's birthday mountain bike ride



Love this man!

Lemonade stand

Stitches


0 comments: