Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Mexico Part One

 I'm finally talking about Mexico!  About time!  We ended up having a great trip.  It wasn't perfect, of course, but about as close to perfect as you can get.  It started off with a bit of a hiccup.  I thought we were staying at the same resort Jake and I had stayed at before.  There were times during the planning that I thought, wow, I've forgotten a lot.  But no.  When we got to the hotel Jake was like, we've never stayed here.  You know you're getting old when...  And sorry to all of my family who I apparently recommended an unknown hotel to.  We still had a great time, but I have to say, not sure we'll stay there again.

This was the first time the kids have been out of the country.  It was fun to be with them as they experienced new things.  One reason I liked our hotel is that it mostly had Mexicans staying at it.  We really felt like we were in Mexico because no one at our hotel was speaking any English.  I loved that.  The kids also loved the unlimited food.  Well, the food wasn't the best, but they sure got a lot of pina coladas!  Zack and Kate were up for adventure.  Sage just wanted to sit by the pool.  The whole time.  The pool was pretty awesome though, so I can see why.

Our first day there we went and talked to one of the fishermen in the bay.  We got our own private boat tour for a grand total of $150.  So much less than booking with a company.  Our awesome guide took us snorkeling, and then we rode down the shore.  He put some fishing poles out and Zack got to catch his first fish in the ocean!  So fun.  Our guide kept talking about a waterfall that was only like a 10 minute hike.  Sounded fun, so I said ok.  He didn't tell us that it would take a long time to get there and that it was in the middle of a poor little pueblo.  We got off the boat and he lead us up through an alleyway to a cobblestone road (really not much of a road.  I didn't see a single car).  This place was poor.  And dirty.  The kids eyes were big.  There was a second that I had the thought that this is how people disappear in Mexico.  No one had any idea where we were.  We were totally depending on this guy to get us back to the resort.  Luckily he ended up being honest and we made it back.  We also made it to the waterfall, which was pretty cool.  I actually loved the whole experience.  I'm so glad the kids got to see how people really live in other countries.  How blessed we are.  

We made it back with enough time to hang out by the pool, much to Sage's relief.  It was an eventful first day!  



On our way to snorkel!





Jake thought he was cool driving the boat

Awesome pirate ship

I have to include these because I paid way too much money for these pictures.  This was before the kids realized that everything costs money.







The view from the little pueblo

We had to walk through this river to get to the waterfall






0 comments: