Thursday, April 17, 2008

Night Shifts and Kids

For those of you who don't know, I just took a position as an RN at the Heber Valley hospital. I was just kind of looking at available nursing jobs one day and saw this one. I only have to work one shift a week and it's really good money. I don't want to leave the kids even one day a week because it's just hard on them (these are 12 hour shifts), but I thought if I did night shifts then they wouldn't really even know I was gone.

This month has been crazy with all of the training. They're making me train two shifts/week during the day for a month. My poor kids have had to deal with a lot the last couple of weeks. I would never keep doing it if it was always this way, but I just keep looking ahead to May when I start just doing one shift/week.

So, Tuesday was my first night shift in like six years. The concept of working nights so I can be home with my kids is great, but I had no idea if I would really be able to handle it. Since I got married I haven't been to bed after 11:00. Jake goes to bed early, so I do too. So the idea of staying awake all night was a big change. I managed to sleep for a couple of hours Tuesday afternoon (Kate slept and Zack watched Dora), got the kids fed, and then headed in to work. It actually went pretty well. I was tired, but not so much that I couldn't function. When I got home I was feeling pretty good so I took care of the kids, cleaned the floor, and jumped in the shower so I could take the kids to story time at the library. I was doing great until I sat down at the library, then I started to die. So as soon as we got home I took a quick hour nap while the kids ran around crazy and then I was good to go.

The moral of this long story is that I think I'll be able to handle night shifts. I'm excited to get my brain working again and to be able to get a break from the kids without having to leave them with a babysitter. The extra spending money is also an added bonus. I'm definitely grateful for a degree that allows me to work such crazy hours and still be home with the kids.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm jealous, sort of. I'd love to be able to work once a week but working nights would be suicide for me! Good luck, sis!

Hilary said...

Wow, for anyone else I'd probably say they were crazy. For you, though, I'd say this will be great! I've always thought I'd want you for my RN if I needed one (knock on wood). I think it will be a nice break for you, although it will definitely take some adjusting. Did I mention we were hoping to come stay with you next week? Ha! Just Kidding!

AJ Gorham said...

Don't work too hard my friend! Thanks again for my Birthday Dinner!!! You guys rock! Amber

the mortensen's said...

way to be! I couldn't do it

Tamara said...

I'm so excited for you to find a schedule that works for you. My mom was a nurse at nght for a while and she loved it. Rock On Llamaface!