Saturday, May 10, 2008

Lindsey Spjute

Lindsey's the second one in on the left.

I got one of those calls last night that everyone dreads. My sister Lindsey has been serving in the England, Birmingham mission. Early this morning she went running with her companion and collapsed. Her companion did CPR, but it didn't work. My sister passed away.

I feel like my heart is broken in a million pieces. I thought maybe writing about her would help.

Lindsey was honestly and truly one of the greatest people I've ever known. I keep thinking I'm grateful we had her for as long as we did, but why did He have to take her so soon? She's one of those people who made everyone feel important. I'm sure everyone who knew her felt like her best friend. She had a love for life that was contagious. She was always happy and always willing to serve. She seemed to always befriend those who other people didn't like as much. People were just drawn to her.

Lindsey was my outdoor adventure partner. She was a natural athlete and loved to be outside camping, hiking, snowboarding, etc. I was so looking forward to doing all of that with her when she got home. I know the first time we go out on our boat this year I'll cry because she loved doing that with us. She hasn't been on her mission that long, but I was already counting down to when I could do that with her again.

I'm so grateful for the memories we made together and so sad for the ones we lost. Just having her on a mission has been hard on our family as she has left a big hole. I think God sent her on a mission so that we would be a little used to her being gone. I'm grateful that she died doing what she loved. She was such a good missionary. I know she still is. I can't imagine going through this without the gospel and the knowledge that we'll see her again. Now I need to live better so I can be where I know she is. I keep thinking that the one thing she would love for us to do in her honor is share the gospel. So that's my invitation to all of you. In memory and honor of my sister, talk to someone about what you believe. Tell your friends how it is we can keep functioning when things like this happen. Tell them about the Savior and his plan of salvation.

18 comments:

Jake Jorgenson said...

I love you Laura! I'm sorry that this has happened to you and your family. Hang in there and know that I'll do my best to be there for you.

coriconnors said...

We heard the news just now. Thank you for posting. It's a hard thing to write; hard to comprehend. We cannot imagine this world without Lindsay ~ her enthusiasm, her radiance, her laughter and her capacity to feel deeply and love purely. We have not a worry for her; but our prayers are and will remain with your whole family.
Dave and Cori Connors family

craig said...

Laura We are so sorry!! We love Lindsey so much and we still can't imagine how difficult this must be for you. The Lord truly loves you and is wrapping his arms around you. We love you
Craig & Cheri and all!

Jacqueline said...

So sorry to hear about your sister. Just know we love you and Jake and are thinking of you guys at this time.

Trav's little brother died in an accident just about a year ago. He fell asleep driving, went off the road and hit a tree. I can only imagine the feelings you have right now. Those are pretty crappy phone calls to come in the middle of the night....I was amazed at the feeling of peace and comfort that followed. Not that it took the sadness away, but it helped us to know that AJ was alright; he was being taken care of and was where he needed to be.

We love you guys!

Ann said...

Laura,
I'm so glad Craig told me about this blog. Thanks for your post! What a sad day it is for our family. I'm so sorry. The Lord has a funny way of testing us. I'm sure Lindsey has already brightened the lights of heaven just like she brightened everything she touched.
We love you! Brian, Ann & family

The Hills Family said...

We were so sad to hear about the death of Lindsey. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! We pray that peace and comfort will fill your hearts. We love you!!

Hilary said...

Oh Laura, what an awful trial. I'm glad you blogged to try and get some feelings out; now there's more of us that know your families situation and can pray for you. How in the world did Lindsey get old enough to go on a mission? I remember how sweet and little (young) she was. My heart aches for you and your family. I will keep you all in my prayers during this time...

Hilary said...

P.S. I love that you put the Wicked song on your blog - I'm sure in honor of your sister. What a wonderful, thoughtful thing.

Kaylene said...

Laura,
thanks for that. I burst into tears just seeing a picture of her. I'm so in shock. Lindsey was the best! We'll miss her so much! We're thinking about you guys.

Kaylene

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

I am in such shock. I went to high school with spjute. I am so sorry. My thoughts are with your family.

lisa said...

Laura,
I don't even know what to say. We are thinking about you guys. You are in our prayers.

Lisa said...

Laura-
There are no words to express how I feel and how sorry I am. Thank you for sharing your feelings at such a hard time.

Grandma, Dave and I are praying for you and your family that the Lord will comfort you and send you peace. We know that Grandpa is taking care of Lindsey and together they are rejoicing and sharing laughter and tears.

Ann said it best, "I'm sure Lindsey has already brightened the lights of heaven just like she brightened everything she touched."

We are all better for knowing Lindsey and knowing how she lived her life; happy, positive, full of love for family, the Lord and her friends. There will always be a lot of laughter when we remember Lindsey and the things she did and tried. There were never any dull moments. What a great legacy she created in such a short time.

We love you and look forward to seeing you, but are sad for the occasion that brings us together.

Lisa, Grandma and David

Holly said...

Laura,
When they announced in our ward sunday morning, about the loss of your sister, my heart broke for you. I googled her and found your blog. I wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. What a blessing the gospel is in our lives and ETERNAL families! Best of luck to you in this upcoming week.
Much Love,
Holly Paddock Fisher

Tamara said...

I sent you an email.

AJ Gorham said...

Laura, my heart is broken for you and your loss. If you ever need anything...know that I am here for you. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Let me know if you ever need to talk or just blow off some steam on a run/bike ride...I will be there in a heartbeat...or just a long drive! Love you! Amber

Merrill Family said...

Laura,
This is Emily (Cheney) Merrill. I am so very sorry to hear about your sister. I don't know exactly what to say, but your family is in my prayers. I found your blog on Mel's blog. I read through your blog. What a cute family, and a great life you have going. You look great! I love the picture with you and all your sisters running. And I love the picture of you with brown hair. I hope all goes well with the funeral etc...

Unknown said...

Laura & Jake,

I just want you both to know how much I love you. I have thought about you non stop since I heard the news and have prayed for your comfort. I can only imagine how you feel and I hope the peace that the Gospel brings will help. I know that you will feel more love than you have ever felt and the joy of the Plan of Salvation will become very real to you. I know that I only met Lindsey a few times but I was so impressed with the fun way she attacked life.
You are a special family, we love you!!! Love Jackie (Vance) and Family.

Nicole said...

Laura-

My mom called me a few hours ago and asked me if this was your sister. When I googled it I found your blog. This is just heartbreaking. There are really no words, but know that you and your family are in our thoughts.

Nicole Nuzman Laird