Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tradition!

Sage and I enjoying the parade

The kids with all their loot (I think Zack's bag is about to break)
Spjutes are a family of tradition.   Lots of tradition.  Think Fiddler On The Roof (my dad likes to belt this out any time we complain about traditions).  Anyhow, one of our long-standing traditions is Farmington Festival Days.  Someone always participates in a race.  Sometimes we do the pancake breakfast, sometimes we don't.  We always go to the parade (best parade ever by the way).  And then we end with lots of food, in true Spjute fashion.

This year tradition was fulfilled.  Toby and I ran the Flag Rock Race.  Why we do this I don't know.  It's truly painful.  It's just over seven miles, with over 2000 feet of elevation gain.  Again I ask, why do we do this.  Once we recovered from that (kind of), we headed to the parade.  As always, the parade lived up to its reputation.  The kids get enough candy to last a year (for reals).  There are balls being thrown out, frisbees, and even stuffed animals.  It doesn't get better than this.  And finally, we finished off with a BBQ at the ancestral home.  As my dad would say, "this is what america needs".  For reals.  Think of all the political problems that could be solved if everyone would just have a BBQ together....

0 comments: