Thursday, July 5, 2012

Happy Birthday!

We are entering the season of birthdays at our house.  Four out of the five birthdays in our house occur in a three week period.  Zack's birthday is July 13, Jake's is July 16, Kate's is August 2, and Sage's is August 10.  I don't know why that is.  We certainly didn't plan it that way.  It just is.  I like to try to make fun cakes for my kids for their birthdays.  They love it, so why not.  Well, their birthdays are too close to each other that's why not.  By the time I get to poor Sage's birthday I would rather kill myself than spend hours on another cake.  But I must suck it up and take one for the team.  Its for my kids after all.

Anyway, I'm rambling.  The real purpose of this post is that we already got them their birthday present. It was a group birthday present.  For years they've been playing on Jake's grandparents swing set.  They had great fun on it, but it was just a matter of time until it fell apart.  Zack liked to see how far he could get the swing set to tip without it falling over.  I think I suffered many small heart attacks watching him.  So, out with the old, in with the new.  Finally a new swing set!  Something they can all play on without worrying about injuries.  Now that its put together we're all loving it.  Putting the swing set together?  Not.  Fun.  Took almost eight hours.  For reals.  Eight hours of my life I can never get back.  But it was all for the greater good...entertainment for the kids.  I told them that they better play on this swing set every day for the rest of their lives.  And their kids better play on it too.

I have to admit though, my heart smiled yesterday when I walked into our backyard and all of our kids were playing on it, plus some neighbor kids.  Yes!  They've even been playing on it today in the rain.

Buy birthday presents:  check
Make birthday cakes:  ........(somebody save me)

The beautiful addition to our family

3 comments:

April said...

Looks like fun.

Melanie said...

Welcome to the family lovely swing set.

Erika Spjute Gray said...

Looks awesome!!! i want one!