Friday, May 10, 2013

Five Years

Love this picture - typical Linz

Linz and Kate - camping in northern Idaho

Five years today since Linz has been gone.  In some ways it seems like forever has gone by, in some ways it seems like yesterday.  I hate that its been so long since I laughed with her, played with her, and just talked with her.  Lame.  Super lame.

So Linz, today I'm going to play with my kids more, make the most of every second of the day, and talk to my kids about how cool their Aunt Linz is.  IS, not was.  And next week when I'm dying in the heat during the Ogden Marathon, I'll think of you and when we ran it together.  I think there's a good chance you might even be running it with me.  If so, feel free to push me along:)

My aunt posted a couple of blurbs from Linz's missionary letters.  I thought I'd include them here because it was fun to read something she wrote again.  Enjoy.

Love you Linz!!


March 4, 2008
when patience is tried
and your ready to explode inside when every remark
comes out like a bark
just take a nap linzy-loo
then you'll know what to do
then althe days of gray
wilturn to brightest day

 Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:18:41 +0000
The miracles and Spirit of Christmas on in full force this season in Stroud and I continually fall to my knees in gratitude for the blessing of being here and witnessing them. President Hinckley said about England "If you don't like the weather, wait 30 seconds" It is all too true. I dress extra warm on the days where there is frost on the ground and when we freeze during exercising in the morning--and by the time we get going it is warm outside and I'm hot. We're more grateful for the cloudy days as they keep the warmth over Stroud like a big blanket. 
 
I received the package today with all the goods--you will never know how grateful and happy s. turpin and I were when we put in the Christmas CD. We were dancing around with ridiculous smiles and cheering Christmas is finally here!! We found an old tree behind the couch and set it up, it's about 5 feet tall and there were some decorations to put on it as well. Turpin's aunt sent her a bunch of little presents which we put under the tree so we have a grand old time in the flat, opening on present a day. So far thanks to great Aunt Barbara I've received band-aids, deodorant, and jello. Fabulous. Thank you thank you for the stories and all the neat stuff. I feel so blessed and grateful for a supportive family and I will use all of those stories I'm sure. 
Mom- I know you've always stressed about the fact that I walk like a linebacker--I've found the solution. Tights that are too small. Yup, it works well. I put them on and they feel alright, then I get out tracting and within 5 minutes they have fallen snug around my knees and I'm forced to waddle like a penguin all day. Very ingenius aye? This seriously happened and I will make sure it never happens again. :)
I don't even know where to start with the work things have been quickly moving into motion...
Last Wednesday night S.turpin and I both woke up at the same time unknowingly that we both woke up at the same time, we both felt the strongest urge to pray. You can understand how important this must be if the Lord was able to wake me up from my deep slumbers. I remember seeing a soft but bright flash of light waking me up and then I felt so powerfully that I needed to pray. It wasn't until later the next day that both of us realized that we both had the same experience. We then found out later that one of our investigators friends had commited suicide that same night and well... I cannot doubt the power of prayer and the effect it has on others. Your prayers on mine and the people of Stroud's behalf do not go unheard, nor unanswered. 
 
You wouldn't believe the 180 Martin has turned, I don't believe it myself. We had basically given up on him but the Lord did not, and strongly prompted us to return to him. Although he still struggles with drink and smoke, he has prayed to know about the Book of Mormon and the church and has had a very powerful experience. This young man who has only ever seen drugs, drink, depression, and hate is beginning to feel the love that Heavenly Father has for him. He goes to court today to determine whether or not he spends Christmas in prison. I'm not sure what to hope for.
Ian is from a similar walk of life with drugs, divorce, and the lowest of self esteem we are beginning to witness the light of Christ shine forth within him and when he smiles--oh how it fills even the hardest of hearts with joy. We continually try to commit him to baptism but he feels like he doesn't know enough, that it is a big step to make and he wants to make sure he does it right, which is commendable, but we so badly want to have him experience the joy of baptism and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. The members have done so much for these two investigators. i'm so amazed at their willingness to help. They have something call missionary 7:15. At 7:15 am every member of the ward is supposed to pray that they can have a missionary experience. I believe we are benefiting from the fruits of their faith.
One of the most dreadful weather days I've experienced with strong winds and buckets of rain was one of my most memorable nights thus far. We were tracting and caroling at peoples door (anything to get them to listen) and just at the moment when our bodies and hearts were soaked and it was about time to go we met Matthew. He's in his 20's. He quickly invited us in (which we couldn't go in because there was no other female) but he readily accepted the BoM and was eager to hear more. We came back the next day with a member, so excited to see him but his roommate answered the door. He too was interested in what we had to say, Matt wasn't home, but he let us in and he was asking so many questions. He is so intelligent and I felt like we were meeting with a stake president. He's also in his twenties and just graduated from uni. in engineering and moved here with his job. He's been looking for a religion, he's been raised by a very good family, he prays every day, he knows he can get anything out of life if he puts his mind to it. He doesn't know many people here so he's excited to meet with us again.....anyway. s. turpin and I left there completely speechless. what? what? i just kept saying it to myself over and over. what just happened here? 
Kevin--our petrol station friend came to church for the 2nd time. which means we had 3 members at church this Sunday. Unheard of in Stroud. We can't seem to get an apt. with him though, he's a bit dodgy but we'll get em! 
 
Miracles are all around us and in abundance.
This truly is the Lord's work. If there is any success it is because he has prepared the hearts of these people and with the help of members and a lot of faith, we are fortunate to find some of them. Pres. moffat talked about how it's not the missionary or the area that determines success, it's the attitude. I believe that. 
 
I feel so blessed to take part in this work. May you all pray for more missionary experience so you can also feast on the joy that comes from witnessing the miracles.
I love you all!
cheers
SISTER SPJUTE

1 comments:

Erika Spjute Gray said...

Well put! Linz IS the best!!!